Thursday, May 26, 2016

Week 4: Building Base Knowledge

I joined Goodreads in February of this year, but then just let it sit idle.  This training has reintroduced me to Goodreads and challenged me to make it a part of my life with books!  I now have the app on my phone, and just this past weekend I was out of town with friends and when the conversation came around to talking about what we were reading and book recommendations, I was able to just add titles to my “Want to read” bookshelf from my phone during the conversation. Love this feature, and so easy!

For this assignment I added and rated a few past reads to my account, not in any particular order, and then started to add bookshelves.  I like the fact that you can select any category for your bookshelves and do not have to choose from a pre-selected list.   As I was looking around in other friends accounts, I noticed that one of my colleagues created the bookshelf categories of “read in childhood”, “read in high school”, “read in college” etc., I thought that was a cool and interesting way to categorize titles.

For my friend Beth, who is currently reading and enjoying “The Cartel”, I am going to go out on a limb and recommend the nonfiction book “American Pain: how a young felon and his ring of doctors unleashed America's deadliest drug epidemic” by John Temple.  This is a compelling story that chronicles the rise and fall of a Florida pill mill and how it helped tip the nation into its current opioid crisis, the deadliest drug epidemic in American history.

For my friend Kelsey, I see from her bookshelves that she enjoys reading memoirs and nonfiction.  Since she enjoyed the book “The Impossible Rescue”, I am recommending, “The finest hours: the true story of the U.S. Coast Guard’s most daring sea rescue” by Mike Tougias and Casey Sherman. It is the story of a dramatic and heroic sea rescue by the U.S. Coast Guard of the crew of two oil tankers ripped in half by a violent nor’easter off the coast of Cape Cod in the winter of 1952.  

No comments:

Post a Comment